What You Will Learn
- Develop upper-level risk management skills and required knowledge
- Review the ISO 31000 family of standards with the view toward integrating OSH into the ERM framework and within the OSH management system
- Gain deep understanding of the risk management techniques
- Identify ways to effectively assess, treat, monitor and communicate risk
- Apply the risk-based decision-making model
Levels (Experience with Topic)
Intermediate: 5-10 years
Online-Instructor-Led: As a virtual learner, you’ll receive all the benefits of face-to-face instruction, eliminate travel cost and time, while learning in a structured way whether at work, at home or at another convenient location. To participate fully, you will need a computer with audio/video capability and a reliable internet connection.
During this four-week online course, you will connect with your peers in group discussions, participate in interactive learning activities, review instructional videos and complete assignments.
Each Thursday throughout the duration of the course, your instructor will hold a 90-minute online meeting from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. CT. These meetings are designed to facilitate group work, share expert knowledge, answer questions, provide feedback and offer active learning support.
ASSP TR-31010-2020, Risk Management: Techniques for Safety Practitioners – Technical Report
Assessing and Managing Risks – An ERM Perspective
Resources found under My Digital Products in My Account
Bruce K. Lyon, P.E., CSP, ARM, SMS, CHMM is vice president and risk consultant with Hays Companies Inc. He is chair of the ISO 31000 U.S. Technical Advisory Group; chair of the committee that developed ASSP TR-31010, Technical Report for Risk Management; vice chair of the ANSI/ASSP Z590.3 Prevention Through Design Standard Committee; advisory board chair to University of Central Missouri’s (UCM) Safety Sciences program and a director of Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP). Lyon is co-author of “Risk Assessment: A Practical Guide to Assessing Operational Risk” published by John Wiley & Sons in 2016, and lead author of “Risk Management Tools for Safety Professionals” published by ASSP in August 2018. He holds an M.S. in Occupational Safety Management and a B.S. in Industrial Safety from UCM. In 2018, he received BCSP’s CSP Award of Excellence.
Georgi Popov, Ph.D., QEP, SMS, CMC, holds a doctorate in chemistry from National Scientific Board (Bulgaria) and an M.S. in Nuclear Instrumentation Building/Engineering Physics from Defense University (Bulgaria). He is a professor in the School of Environmental Physical and Applied Sciences at University of Central Missouri (UCM). Popov is a member of ASSP’s Heart of America Chapter and was named its Safety Professional of the Year (SPY) in 2015. He received the ASSP Region V SPY Award in 2016 and was named ASSP's Outstanding Safety Educator in 2017. He is lead author of “Risk Assessment: A Practical Guide for Assessing Operational Risk” published by John Wiley & Sons in 2016 and he is also co-author “Risk Management Tools for Safety Professionals” published by ASSP in August 2018.
By registering for our professional development events, you consent to the use and distribution of your image or voice in photographs, videos, audio and other electronic reproductions of our events and activities.
Attendees also agree to adhere to ASSP’s Code of Professional Conduct. ASSP reserves the right to remove attendees not behaving consistent with the Code of Conduct.
- We will grant full refunds to those who submit written requests within 10 business days of the start date of the course by emailing email@example.com.
- Learners who register but do not attend their course, or who attempt to cancel after the deadline, will not receive a refund.
- If learning resources such as standards or videos are included in the registration price of your course and you access those resources using your ASSP My Learning account prior to the course’s start date, you will be ineligible for a refund.
- We charge a $25 processing fee for substitutions.
- Submit substitutions in writing within 10 business days of the start date of the course by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If pricing for the new attendee changes the total cost of attending the event, we will charge or refund you the difference.
- We reserve the right to cancel any course at any time and to substitute faculty should unforeseen events occur.
- If, for any reason, we must cancel a course or event, liability is limited solely to the registration fees paid.
- We are not responsible for other expenses incurred, including travel and accommodation fees for in-person courses.
Please click here for the full education policies and procedures