The Problem Is the Question
Pre-Accident Investigations: Better Questions - An Applied Approach to Operational Learning challenges safety and reliability professionals to get better answers by asking better questions. A provocative examination of human performance and safety management, the book delivers a thought-provoking discourse about how we work, and defines a new approach to operational learning.
Don't Focus on Safety as an Outcome
This is not a book about traditional safety. This is a book about creating "real" safety in your organization. In order to predict incidents before they happen, an organization should first understand how their processes can result in failure. Instead of managing the outcomes, they must learn to manage and understand the processes used to create them.
Create Change in Your Organization
Written by a top industry expert, the book provides a new definition of safety and utilizes knowledge from the field and the floor. Ideal for use in safety, human performance, psychology, cognitive and decision making, systems engineering, and risk assessment areas, this book equips the safety professional with the tools, steps, and models of success needed to create long-term value and change from safety programs.
Pre-Accident Investigations: Better Questions - An Applied Approach to Operational Learning serves safety managers, safety officers, safety specialists, risk managers loss control personnel, safety engineers, safety auditors, human factors and ergonomics engineers, industrial engineers, safety representatives, lecturers, and trainers.
• Based on practical concepts, advice, tools, and programs which have been proven in the field and made successful
• Assists the safety professional to not only begin a transition towards a new approach to leading safety and operational understanding, but also how to expand and perpetuate a company culture based on new ideas for safety
• Provides a review and detailed operational discussion about the important actions an organization must take in order to begin transitioning to a predictive learning practice
• Shows the safety leader how to redefine safety - moving from seeing safety as an outcome to be managed, to a capacity to be built and maintained
• Presents how to change the way the organization learns about operational success and operational failure
Author: Todd Conklin
Publisher: CRC Press
About the Author
Todd Conklin retired as a senior advisor at Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, one of the world’s foremost research and development laboratories, in the human performance and safety integration program. Dr. Conklin had worked on the program at Los Alamos National Laboratory for the past dozen years of his 25-year career. Conklin holds a PhD in organizational behavior and communication from the University of New Mexico. He speaks all over the world to executives, groups, and work teams who are interested in better understanding the relationships between the workers in the field and the organization’s systems, processes, and programs.
Table of Contents
Book and CD returns are accepted within 30 days of invoice date. Products must be unused and in salable condition. E-books are non-returnable. Please enclose copy of our invoice or packing slip to expedite processing. For your protection, ASSP recommends sending products by a traceable method (i.e., UPS, FedEx, or USPS return receipt) in case proof of return is required. Return address is:
520 N Northwest Hwy
Park Ridge, IL 60068